The Upton Town Library was founded in 1871 and spent its first hundred years in the town hall. The library moved into its current home in the Knowlton-Risteen Building in the 1970s when the Methodist Church was remodeled to install the library, the Upton Historical Society, and the town Board of Health and Code Enforcement offices. During March of 2014, the library underwent a major interior renovation replacing the carpet, repainting the walls, and reorganizing the shelving to create a larger children's area. In the fall of 2014, the library received its new, custom-built circulation desk. In the spring of 2015, with the completion of the renovation of the Upton Town Hall, the library expanded into the old Board of Health workspace, turning it into a quiet reading room.
The library has a collection of over 30,000 books, movies, and audio materials and is part of the C/W MARS network.
Matthew Bachtold has been the Library Director since 2005.
Nicole Basbanes Claire has been the Young Adult and Children's Librarian since 2012.
The rest of the library staff consists of:
Sue Pfeiffer - Circulation Specialist
Regina Young - Circulation Specialist
Jeff Hartman - Circulation Clerk
Lee Ann Murphy - Circulation Clerk
The library trustees can be reached by email, and information about trustee membership and procedures can be found on the town website.