The Upton Town Library was founded in 1871 and spent its first hundred years in the town hall. The library moved into its current home in the Knowlton-Risteen Building in the 1970s when the Methodist Church was remodeled to install the library, the Upton Historical Society, and the town Board of Health and Code Enforcement offices. During March of 2014, the library underwent a major interior renovation replacing the carpet, repainting the walls, and reorganizing the shelving to create a larger children's area. In the fall of 2014, the library received its new, custom-built circulation desk. In the spring of 2015, with the completion of the renovation of the Upton Town Hall, the library expanded into the old Board of Health workspace, turning it into a quiet reading room.
The library has a collection of over 30,000 books, movies, and audio materials and is part of the C/W MARS network.
Matthew Bachtold has been the Library Director since 2005.
Lee Ann Murphy has been the Children's & Young Adult Librarian since 2017.
Other library staff includes:
Sue Pfeiffer - Library Specialist
Regina Young - Library Specialist
Sue Roecker - Library Clerk
Micaela Austin - Library Clerk